(or maybe in light of the holidays we should say snow business :D)
So this was the crazy week of holiday performances! I wish I could show you pics of the kids...but b/c of confidentiality I can't... :(
Anyway, at one of my elementary schools we have for the last month and half been preparing our holiday show. It basically consists of singing, signing, props, instruments, a snow machine...you name it and we have it our show. We had 2 back-to-back performances at the school on Tuesday. On Monday we took our show on the road...we performed it at the local high school and Wal-Mart. I really wish I could show you pictures so that you could see that sheer CHAOS that ensues when you have 60 (that's right 6-0!!!) special needs kids performing - MADNESS! And I'm talking every level of special needs you can imagine from the most high functioning to the most low functioning - they were all there. AND somehow (and I have no idea how) they managed to pull it off every time without any major catastrophes - A-MA-ZING!
I never really considered performing as a part of music therapy prior to my internship. But the more I think about it, the more I think it is an awesome idea. There are so many beneficial skills that can be learned from performing and preparing to perform. But think about this too, when you go out in public you rarely see special needs kiddos... Well we had 60 of them out in public all at once AND they were doing something to not only give back to the community, but to promote public awareness of special needs. They presented themselves in a such a positive way that it makes me want to cry... And there was not a dry eye in Wal-Mart when those kids busted out Hap Palmer's Things I'm Thankful For.... If you don't know the song check it out: http://www.stumbleaudio.com/#happalmer5/8. Now imagine special needs kiddos signing, singing, etc. to this song. Absolutely beautiful.
During our performances at the elementary school Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus decided to make an appearance. The lady on Santa Claus's lap is Amber, my internship director. The other young lady is Caitlin, one of my fellow interns.
No comments:
Post a Comment