I woke up yesterday morning thinking everything was the same as usual. I was 3 and 1/2 weeks away from being done with my internship. I was moving back to Kansas. I was trying to figure out the "what comes next" part of life. I was trying to survive....
Amber, my internship director (who is also my supervisor on Tuesdays), was going to be late that day. She had intern auditions for next year. SO after doing 3 sessions and eating my lunch, I wait for her to arrive as I prepare for my next session. At about 11:30am she strolls in and says "Jessica I have the perfect job for you." I stare at her blankly. She proceeds to tell me about a private practice in the area that is hiring a music therapist. It was the same facility that I had been to a couple weeks ago for observation purposes. I tell Amber that I know they are hiring, but my plans are to move back to Kansas. She proceeds to tell me that they want to hire IMMEDIATELY because one of the music therapists that currently works there is resigning. The owner of this private practice interned with Amber several years ago and called Amber about her current interns. Amber suggested me and one other intern to the owner for the job... I basically put my head in my hands and almost start crying. I knew that it was the PERFECT job for me, but I just didn't think it would logistically work out. Thus began about 30 minutes of Amber and I going back and forth about the pros and cons of applying for this job...
SO what did I do? I naturally called my mom. I needed to get mom approval. LOL I'm almost 23 years old and in my crazy mind I still need mom approval. :) Moms are just good at stuff like this. Then I called my fiance and with both of them on board I decided to call the owner of the practice and talk.
The owner answers and after the hello, how are ya business this is basically how our dialogue went down:
Owner: Would you like to set up an interview?
Me: Yes...I would love to.
Owner: When can you come in?
Me: Oh really any time as long as it's after school. Tell me when is good for you.
Owner: How about 5:00pm?
Me: Ummm... tonight??!?
Owner: Yeah, I had another girl who couldn't make it tonight. So if you could make it tonight that'd be perfect...
Me: Ummmm...okay sure.
Owner: You got a resume?
Me: Yeah.... but I don't have any fabulous resume paper.
Owner: *laughs* That's okay, just bring it in anyway. I know you haven't had any time to prepare so don't stress.
I haul myself home as fast as I can (for those who know the Atlanta area, I drive from Alpharetta to Buckhead), print off my resume, get back in my car and high tail it to the clinic for my interview. All the while I'm totally freaking out and calling people to tell them what's going on.
I get to the clinic about 10 minutes late (darn Atlanta traffic). I meet with the owner and we end up talking for about an hour and half. She asks me some typical interview questions (what are your strengths and weaknesses? where do you see yourself in 6 months? in 2 years? etc). She also asks me some more music therapy geared questions (what is the definition of music therapy in YOUR words? thank you quiz out #4!!!! i had a darn good answer!). She asks me some questions that I have to tell her "honestly I have never even thought about that". We then go into one of the treatment rooms and I play the guitar and sing a little for her. She then asks me some session "what would you do in this situation?" type questions.
And then after all this is done....
She offers me the job on the spot....
And all of a sudden my world was not the same one that I woke up in that morning.....
Today I called her back and accepted the job. Looks like I'll be in Atlanta for a little bit longer than I initially thought :)
I AM SO SO SO SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! Congratulations!! You are an amazing music therapist and will do wonders for that practice!!! However...... I'm going to go into major Jessica deprived coma!! I'm already basically in one!! But that gives me a reason to come visit!! However.... I still can't wait for you to come visit here and for your wedding!! Love you and miss you lots!!
ReplyDeleteMel Mel
omg! JESS! that is AWESOME!!! killin it, girl. how exciting - so will you finish out our internship then, or just jump straight into the job?
ReplyDeletecongrats!!!
-kate
Jessica!!! This is AWESOME!!! Congrats!
ReplyDelete-Jenifer